Archive for June 2007

XOverlay is (almost) working now. Export is next.

28.06.2007

Now the xoverlay works finally (and the dynamic pads are solved too, if you missed the comment I wrote on the “Not yet”-post.)(UPDATE: Nope. The dynamic pads are initially connected correctly now, but as soon as the user tries to switch to another movie and then back again to the original one, the pads don’t get connected. And when the user repeats this action once more, the program crashes). It was really difficult and my current branch of gtkD and gstreamerD are quite hand edited on some parts now. I’m not sure how to do some of that stuff automatically with gtkWrapper, but it doesn’t matter on the functionality part.
The only thing not quite working with the xoverlay is the expose(). For some reason it doesn’t really have an effect, and if some other window overlaps it, there will be hole in the video overlay. So you’ll have to resize the monitor widget to get it working normally again. But that’s of minor importance for now. (Thanks to many people over at #gstreamer and #d).

Next is export. I hope I get it sorted out by 30th. The release is going to be a wacky binary release inside a tar.bz. And you’ll propably need to put the two libraries (libgtkD and libgstreamerD) to somewhere inorder for it to work (And it will also be made on Ubuntu Dapper, but I’ve tested that it works on Feisty too). I’ll also release my branch of gtkD and gstreamerD as a tar.bz, as I don’t have time to merge it with the official version now. The release will be almost usable for something, but totally alpha. But you’ll hopefully be able to see some good(UPDATE: mediocre 🙂 ) stuff there too.

Advertisements

Not yet

19.06.2007

As some might have noticed, there’s been no release yet. Next month might also come too soon. We’ll see. To make a release I’d like two things: export working and the dynamic pads working reliably. Getting the monitor to be an XOverlay in the main window is optional but would make a huge plus. Pihlaja is quite crashy (if there can be such a word).

I’ve been in the Midnight Sun film festival in Sodankylä for the last week, and so haven’t been able to do much on Pihlaja. Saw some great movies like Jia Zhang-Ke: Still Life, Ghobadi: Half Moon and Elia Suleiman: Chronicle of Disappearance and Chronicle of Love and Pain.

Although I’ve coded the basis for exporting. It still doesn’t work for some reason though. As I said earlier I have huge issues with some dynamic pads not being created. I’ll have to try to ask someone about that stuff, as there’s really little documentation on problems.

A look at the project chooser dialog

5.06.2007

pihlaja_05_06_2007

Here’s a screenshot of the Pihlaja project chooser, that the user sees when Pihlaja starts. No way to turn it off currently (That will propably annoy some users). I’d need a fourth button at the bottom. The user settings don’t really work, that part is just a mockup. Other parts of the screenshot will tell you alot about what Pihlaja projects are made of internally.

The reason for posting is that I finally got the project chooser part working. Pihlaja now really saves a pihlajaprojectlist.xml to ~/.pihlaja/ and looks up the filenames from there whenever it starts. It’s not fully functional yet, though, as you can’t yet change the setting for where all the projects are located. I’ll add that next week or so. Did I mention that project saving and loading works… Maybe I didn’t yet.

Can’t remember all the parts that need fixing before release (after my short coding break, because of temporary work). I think I’ll have to try to edit something real with it, to see what’s still missing. Putting those monitors inside the mainwindow might be top of the list. I’ve been putting that one for later, because of the lack of documentation on the subject. And I’ll propably need to add some X libs wrappers to my dependencies…

I hope I’ll get those nasty problems (with linking pads not working after loading a project) solved. Currently you have to import a material file, click on it about ten times, then open the movie you had previously created, and click on it’s background, and then click on it’s ruler about ten times. Doesn’t sound that user friendly. I really hope I get that fixed. It must be something with the way and order in which I connect pads.
.